10.02.2012

Testimony Tuesday: Savor God's Favor #2

"He giveth power to the faint; and to them that have no might he increaseth strength. Even the youths shall faint and be weary, and the young men shall utterly fall: But they that wait upon the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint." -Isaiah 40:29-30




The testimony I'm about to transcribe puts me in mind of yet another song :-) LOL!! You'll get that a lot from me being that I absolutely LOVE music. See if you can guess. The ad lib part goes like this: "While you're trying to figure it out...". Can you guess the next line? Of course you can! "God's already worked it out". This following testimony is a great example of that line. This is Testimony Tuesday. It's time to Savor the very Favor of God. Let's go!


Ms. Lewis of Louisiana wrote:
My oldest son began having issues in school several years ago. His first grade teacher complained that he could not remember the last thing that he read or heard. His comprehension was not the best and it reflected in his grades. As a mother, I was bothered. I wanted the very best for my son as any mother would. When the same problem carried over to the second grade, I began to worry even more. This did not help as I became more forceful in my teaching approach with him. That would send him even further in a shell because he was truly trying the best he could. By the time third grade hit us, I was an emotional wreck. I was worried out of my mind because he was getting closer to having to take the LEAP test in the fourth grade. We all know that it doesn't matter how good a child's grades are. The LEAP test determines if you pass to the next grade level. I knew I had to do something fast. 
I decided to start my son with a tutor who I paid $25 per hour, twice a week. This took somewhat of a toll on my finances but I was determined to whatever it took to help him. After weeks of tutoring, there was no progress. The tutor complained that he was not where he needed to be and that he needed more time with her. I didn't have more time and I definitely didn't have any money to keep wasting. My son had trouble remembering what he was taught in the last session when it came to recap time. I ended his tutoring sessions. Determined to save him from having to take the LEAP test, I decided to enroll him in private school. The private school tested him and explained that he wasn't on level. However, since his siblings were above level, they enrolled him. I was hopeful and felt that I had finally succeeded in getting my son out of taking the LEAP test. That was until I received the tuition cost for THREE children! I went back to the drawing board.  
Fourth grade finally arrived and my son's comprehension was even worse than before. He started receiving more failing grades on tests and his report card was one that I'd rather not share. Again, I felt I had to do something. What mother wouldn't? I decided to take him to the Doctor to see if they could figure out what was causing his comprehension issue. I wanted to get a report from the Doctor to convince the school to let him skip the LEAP test or at the very least, let someone help him on testing day. The Doctor's report showed that my son was on level and that his IQ was too high for the school to provide any additional assistance. 
By this time, I was stressed out. My eyes were always puffy from crying, my hair was thinning out, I couldn't sleep at night, and I lost the little appetite I had left. I gave up. There was nothing else I could do.
But that's when I realized that I had been doing everything but the right thing. All I could do was pray pray pray. The Lord told me to lay all my burdens on Him. He allowed me to go through every avenue until I had exhausted all of my options- except Him. I totally turned my son and his comprehension over to the Lord. Once I let go, I had peace. I was no longer worried or stressed out. I was really putting all of my trust in God. By the time the LEAP test rolled around, I had completely forgotten about all my worries. All that I could do was WAIT on the results.
My son's teacher sent a text the morning she received the results. All it said was "PASSED!" 
This truly taught me a lesson. He knew my son had the equipment he needed to pass the test. God had already worked it out. If only I had trusted Him from the beginning, I wouldn't have stressed myself or my son out trying to handle it on my own!


1 comment:

  1. Praise God sister! "While we're trying to figure it out, God's already worked it out!" Work it out Jesus!

    ReplyDelete